_____*DUNZO

Thursday, June 29, 2006

What Just Happened?

No decent person would make a girl wait for five hours. Especially not a girl as impatient and time concious as I am. Yet at yesterday's 2006 NBA draft I sat through the whole thing. From the half-hour preview to the 60th pick, between thunderstorms disrupting my cable service to trading picks and updates from the ESPN "draftcast".

I waited.

And waited.

And waited some more.

All for two names to be called: Taquan Dean and Gerry McNamara. I've been waiting for this day forever, having followed G-Mac since his frosh year and Taquan since his sophomore year. All those years just to see them shake David Stern's (or at least Russ Granik's) hand. They're my babies and I told myself I wouldn't miss that moment, that snapshot for the world. No dice. Both of my boys went undrafted.

Has it come to this point? Has it come to the point in the NBA draft where a player's collegiate success is apparently not only inadequate but means squat to every GM! But my boys are not quitters. It'll be a busy summer from these two. Soon enough they'll be invited to various summer and training camps. And they will join teams that deserve them.

I just never realized that the moment I wouldn't miss for the world, ain't coming at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home